How orange feels

September 29, 2010

Going into this build I was mad for green, and with our cancelled PD build our scheme was based around it.  But when it came time to do our Carlisle selections, I actually listened to the man (and discovered he has quite the eye for colour) and followed both of our gut reactions to colour.  So now that all of our selections are finalised, I couldn't resist a bit of analysis on the memories that these orange images brought out.

I've always loved autumn.  The weather.  The colours.  The leaves.  One of my earliest memories (probably because there's an old photo somewhere) is of Pa and I raking them up into piles, scooping them into the barrow with squares of masonite, and then he'd put me on top and race me around the yard on route to dump them in his roadside fire.


Oranges used to smell and taste sweeter when I was a kid.  I remember half time oranges at netball games in the freezing cold.  The juice would run down your arms and your hands were sticky making you much more effective in the second half.  Do they still do that at half time these days?

lilies just make me smile.  Two very special women in my life both have an obsession for them - my big sis & my little girl.
This move is bringing me geographically closer to both of them, which brings the promise of indescribable happiness.
My big sis (my lovely man's sister actually, but I've claimed her as my own) is the warmest, kindest, loveliest person I've ever met, and many a homewares shop will be the beneficiary of our joint shopping exploits after the move.
My little girl isn't that little anymore.  Almost six feet tall, 21 and about as independent as you could be.  It's not very often she lets me play, but when she does, it's like winning a premiership for me.

This ball to your left has been life changing for me.  I've worked with it, slaved to it, encouraged it and protected it for 22 years.  In return, it's brought some amazing people into my life, put food on the table, challenged me, disgusted me, delighted me. 

My big grown up by came to live with me when his Dad and I split up.  It could have been because there was always coke in the fridge, a bowl of M&M's on the table, and an impromptu "gathering" of friends a regular occurrence.  One of the motivations in building a big house was to give each of them somewhere to call home.  He assures me he'll never need a bed, but I'll keep it made just in case.


When my kids were really little and I was studying and interest rates were pushing 20%, money was pretty tight.  All I could afford to buy Mum for Christmas was a mug that I filled with her favorite chocolates.  This became a bit of a tradition, and as the years flew by and finances were the least of my worries, I still found myself buying her a mug. When you open her cupboards, there are literally 19 coffee mugs in there.  I think that's enough now.

Sunset over Cradle Mountain in Tasmania.  The first holiday Loz and I had together.  1 beautiful undisturbed week of tranquility, bush walking, eating, discovering, getting lost but mostly getting found.  We'd just bought the new Eagles CD and played it on repeat for the week.  Anytime I hear one of those songs I'm reminded of that great trip.  They're touring soon (The Eagles) and we have amazing seats.  Can't wait.





1 comments :: thanks for sharing!:

River said...

I had a youthful love affair with orange too, so when setting up my very first married home, I had orange vinyl kitchen chairs, an orange spread on the bed, orange 3-piece lounge suite and curtains patterned in an autumn theme with orange dominant. Since then I've had many homes, but have never bought anything orange ever again. my taste these days runs towards all four primary colours in differing shades.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...