Knifed in the back

November 15, 2011

I've had a dodgy back for somewhere between 4 and 6 years - can't remember when it started coz these things don't always have an exact beginning.

Anyway - I thought I'd been doing a really good job of managing it, especially considering we moved 3 months ago.  So when it flared up again roughly 6 weeks ago, I was so incredibly pissed off as I couldn't see what had triggered it.  In true Reinsey style, instead of listening, I pushed through, ignoring the increasing numbness and then pain in my left leg.

To cut a looooooong story short, I actually went to the GP (rare for me) and he ordered an MRI on my lower back.  I had this done on Monday 31/10.  Mum and I had a quick look at the pics and thought holy crap, there's something in there. Go back to the GP on Wednesday morning and I'm sent immediately to Monash hospital.  By this time my left leg is completely useless and the sensation (or lack thereof) is spreading across my body as well.  Freak out meter = 5/10 but I still drive myself to hospital.  As you do!

See a neurosurgeon and I'm on the list for surgery first thing in the morning.  Riiiiiiight.  So can I go home now, promise I'll come back in the morning?  Nooooooooo.  Freak out meter = 7.5/10.

I was so unprepared for this I barely had any charge left on my phone and work - oh God - there was so much I had to get done!

So here I am 11 days post-op and feeling  better than I have in years.  I can't sit down for more than 3 x 20 minute sessions a day.  The rest of the time I have to be on my feet or flat on my back.  But not too long on my back or scar tissue will form.  Not too long on my feet either.  I've just begun working a few hours a day standing at my PC, but man o man am I dying to go out shopping for browny-greeny-white things!!

Turns out the nerves were completed compressed from a severely bulging disc and they performed a laminectomy on my L5/S1.

The best part...my tramp stamp is still virtually intact.





















I've been so blessed to have been visited by some incredibly special people (you know who you are).  A HUGE thank you for keeping my spirits up (and for the grouse house mags Kylie). Mum & Loz - you're both amazing :)

Much love,
Reinsey
xxx

8 comments :: thanks for sharing!:

Ajanta said...

OMG.... I really hope you're feeling better now Reinsey..... take as much rest as you can and don't stress at all!!! Rest is the best medicine :)

A and A said...

I share ur pain Reinsey- for someone with a brittle back I can understand what it feels like to wakeup with a sore back. Glad its over and you are on a road to recovery :)

Tash said...

Oh NO Reinsey that is horrible so glad you are feeling better now, Janine did mention it to me, and i having been meaning to come past, but i havent had a chance yet with everything going on, i promise i will as soon as i can!!

Shayne said...

OMG! Reinsey!

Glad you are feeling better but the whole sit/stand/lie juggle sounds like really hard work!!

Hope you feel well enough to shop for greeny/brown things before you know it!

B.J. said...

I hope you're feeling better and the pain never returns. You'll be shopping for you green, white and brown items in no time :)

Debra said...

Hang in there neighbour....just the look of you immobilized freaked me out!!

Keep dreaming/planning of things to do once your up and about.

Makes you thankful eh?

Janine K said...

You can't keep a good woman down, well, only for 20 minutes at a time, that is.

Just think of it as, you will feel better next week, than you do this week, and so on and so forth.

You know if there's anything I can do, just yell, or message me on Words with Friends from your iPad or iPhone.

Hope the one armed man is looking after you.

In the long run, 6 weeks is not a long time out of your whole life.

Take care of yourself.

Yam said...

I really hope and I am sure you will get better very soon. Take it easy! You need a good rest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...