Fixed site costs = WINNER!!!

December 28, 2010

It was virtually a flip of the coin type decision to fix our site costs some months ago. We'd already had soil tests through Porter Davis which came back as M class, we had minimal fall (which is,as Janine says, "bugger all")so when Carlisle quoted us 10K for site costs, we were REALLY tempted to run the risk and not fix.

What we didn't know was there was an overlay on our land which I've posted about before, and we also didn't know that our slab would require some additional foundations in the form of 16 piers (which I now know are holes drilled down into stable ground and then filled with concrete for the slab to rest upon).  And, thanks to fixed site costs, we don't have to pay extra for the permits and additional requirements the overlay has brought with it OR the piers.  WINNER!!

I'm completely fascinated by this process.  Hope I can be there on slab pour day... January 20... 23 more sleeps!!!!!


12 comments :: thanks for sharing!:

Janine K said...

All good Reinsey would be interesting to know how much it would have been if you hadnt fixed the sites. 20th January good for you! We have understandably heard nothing yet so you will probably be ahead of us but that's ok. You will be pleased to know that I have been looking at laminates again have at least made one decision about the ensuite will put up a post later!

Debra said...

Good call - those piers can add up quickly. But I still wonder where the builders pull the figures from?? You'll be the stalker with the camera on the 20th eh.

Raelene said...

Deb - I've decided that Jan 20 is a public holiday at my workplace. If David can have RHDO's, then I can just close down for the day....???
You are of course, both more than welcome to byo deck chair and join in the festivities.
Would it be wrong to leave lip imprints in a slab? Rex Hunt has made millions out of kissing fish.....

Janine K said...

Guess what, I don't work Thursdays, and tennis hasn't started yet, so how about I meet you there, we can carve our names into the slab so there is an everlasting memoir!!

Raelene said...

It's a date!! Instead of carving, we could pop a bottle of champers (just a little piccolo bottle being day time and all) and imbed the cork into the alfresco????

Debra said...

I'll have to take a raincheck on that celebration ladies as I work on a Thursday plus you'd have to bring me a lemonade! Anyway, don't forget to put a gold coin in the entrance slab.

Raelene said...

A gold coin - I've never heard that before (and haven't done it with either of my previous builds). I'm guessing it's for prosperity? (no wonder I'm so pov now!!)
I see that you've had a little more activity on your home since the weekend... looks great!!!

Janine K said...

Bugger Deb!!! We will have one for you, pity you work on Thursdays! Still maybe we can do it all again when our slab gets laid.

Debra said...

Janine - that's a date if I'm home.

Reinsey - I missed the gold coin too, guys who poured the slab told me its for prosperity. Must be our problem too!

Raelene said...

Deb, aren't you feeling a little **cough cough** sick on the 20th? What's the point of only 2 wise monkeys directing the concreters???

Janine - I'm bored! Want a colour selection buddy?????

Debra said...

Or....the three stooges.

Be prepared, those guys are on site 6.00a.m. or earlier and almost finished by 11.00a.m. - remember I rolled up to take photos and they were cleaning up! You and Janine can then enjoy a celebration lunch.

Janine K said...

Sounds like a plan!,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...